skip to main content

Lowell Joint School District

Home of Scholars and Champions
placeholder for top bar

Parent Resources

California is part of the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC).  Smarter Balanced assessments will include:
  • Comprehensive assessments in grades 3rd through 8th, and 11th grade.
  • Assessments will be computer adaptive for only two content areas: English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics.
  • Items will include multiple choice, short constructed response, and performance tasks.
  • Smarter Balanced Assessments will cover ELA and Math in grades 3rd– 8th and 11th grade.  California may continue to use California State Test (CST) for Science.
Additional information regarding the Smarter Balanced Assessments is available at the Smarter Balanced website.


score report

McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Program helps homeless children have equal access to a free public education as provided to all of the other children in the District. A child is considered homeless if they do not have a regular adequate residence. This means any students living in shelters, in substandard housing, doubled up with friends or relatives because they have no other place to go and cannot afford a home. The other living arrangements included are single room hotels, cars, parks, public places, transitional affidavit.
Homeless Children are guaranteed enrollment in school by The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and California State law if you live:
  • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program)
  • In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
  • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
  • In an abandoned building, in car, at a campground, or on the street
  • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
  • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
  • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth
To enroll in or attend school if you live under any of theses conditions, you do NOT need to provide:
  • Proof of residency
  • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results      
  • School records
  • Legal Guardianship papers
You may:
  • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
  • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school’s attendance zone or district
  • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school or origin
  • Qualify automatically for child nutrition program (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
  • Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.
For questions about enrolling in school or for assistance with school enrollment, contact:
Your local School District Liaison for the homeless:
  • Rhonda Overby, Director of Educational Services - (562) 690-2336
Your County Liaison for the homeless:
  • Jeanne Awrey, Manager Student Services, Orange County Department of Education (714) 966-4093
Your State Coordinator for the homeless:
  • Leanne Wheeler – State Coordinator, California Department of Education 1-866-856-8214